Indianapolis Birth Injury Attorney
Indiana Birth Injury Attorneys Advocating for Infants and Parents
Your child’s birth is one of the most important moments in your life and theirs. It is the hope of every parent that their child’s birth be free of complications, but sadly for some parents and infants, medical complications arise.For every 1,000 births, seven babies will sustain a birth injury. This amounts to over 30,000 birth injuries annually. While some birth injuries are the result of environmental or biological factors, many more are caused by medical malpractice.
Across Indiana, doctors and other health professionals act with negligence to inflict birth injuries on newborns that could cause a lifetime of problems.
Defining Birth Injuries
A birth injury includes any sort of injury occurring to the newborn before or during birth. Birth injuries often result due to complications during labor and delivery. Birth injuries range from mild bruising to severe brain damage. Medical malpractice is the leading cause of birth injuries, though natural causes can also inflict these injuries. An experienced medical malpractice attorney will examine your child’s birth injuries and medical records to determine whether medical malpractice played a role in the injury.
Understanding Common Birth Injuries
The labor and delivery process can be difficult for the mother and newborn alike. Newborns commonly endure minor injuries that will resolve themselves rather quickly. However, during a complex labor and as a result of doctor or other health professional malpractice, more serious injuries can occur, including:
• Cerebral Palsy: Three out of every 1,000 children born today will be diagnosed with cerebral palsy. This disorder involves learning problems, motor delays, muscle spasms, and problems with hearing or vision. Babies who experience trauma, asphyxia, or hypoxia are at risk of developing cerebral palsy.
• Erb’s Palsy: This disorder is also called brachial plexus birth palsy because it involves the brachial plexus group of nerves. These nerves control the arms and travel from the upper spine to the neck, shoulder, arms, and hands. Damage to this nerve group can be mild or severe.
• Facial Paralysis: During some births, medical instruments or pressure on the facial nerves from the mother can result in tears to facial nerves. This requires corrective surgery.
• Perinatal Asphyxia: If a newborn is deprived of oxygen during birth, perinatal asphyxia can result. Delayed cesarean sections as well as twisted umbilical cords are the two main causes of this disorder. Long term affects on mental development can result.
• Brain Bleeds: Brain bleeds can occur in different parts of the brain. Brain bleeds, including intracranial bleeds, are often associated with prematurity, though they can also occur in full term infants. Bleeding in the brain is associated with medical negligence, including delayed cesarean section.
Health care professionals have a duty to provide patients with the quality of care expected in their field. When they care they provide falls below this standard, they may be held liable for the resulting injuries. All birth injury cases require thorough investigation to determine whether the doctor, nurse, or other health care professional involved behaved in a negligent manner so as to cause your infant’s injuries.
Seeking Compensation for Medical Negligence Occurring Before and During Childbirth
The Indianapolis Birth Injury Attorneys at the Ward & Ward Law Firm understand how heartbreaking a preventable birth injury can be for both the infant and parents involved. Our medical malpractice attorneys will fight to see that your child receives the recovery to which he or she is entitled. While we cannot undo the birth injury inflicted upon your infant, we can make sure your child receives the best care possible.
Call us today at (317) 639-9501 to schedule your free consultation.
Assisting You Through the Most Difficult of Times – Wrongful Death Claims Lawyer