Indianapolis Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Seeking Justice for Bicycle Accident Victims Across Indiana
A Legal Minute with Charlie
Bicycle riding has become a popular American past time, sport, and means of transportation. Some 57 million Americans will ride a bike each year and embark on over nine million bike trips every day. Unfortunately, as the popularity of the bike has increased so has the number of bicycle related accidents. Over 500,000 individuals will require medical treatment for bike related injuries annually and nearly 800 will die due to these injuries.
Bicyclists are vulnerable road users as they lack protection from the larger vehicles surrounding them and are less visible than larger motor vehicles. For these reasons, bike accidents will nearly always result in serious injuries. Anyone who has been involved in a bicycle accident will require the assistance of an experienced bike accident attorney who will fight for their full recovery. For over 85 combined years, the Ward & Ward Law Firm has provided the victims of all manner of accidents with superior legal services. We offer zealous representation 24 hours a day, seven days a week to bicycle accident victims across the state.
While each bicycle accident is unique, there are several scenarios that commonly result in the occurrence of a bike accident. Some of the most common causes of bike accidents include:
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
• The Right Hook: This accident occurs when drivers fail to notice bicyclists when making a right hand turn. The car turns in front of the bicyclist, causing a serious accident as the bicyclist is without time to stop before crashing into the car. Even bicyclists that manage to avoid the collision may instead swerve into objects or other cars, or fall to the ground.
• Left Cross: This accident occurs when a motorist and bicyclist approach an intersection from opposite directions. As they enter the intersection, the motorist turns left and crashes into the cyclist. Often, the motorist failed to see the cyclist because he or she was distracted, overtired, intoxicated, or traveling too fast.
• Dooring: Many bike accidents happen when the driver of a vehicle fails to notice an approaching bicyclist and opens his or her car door. Dooring is a term used to describe the sudden opening of a car door in the path of an ongoing cyclist. These accidents can cause the cyclist crashing into the door, over the handlebars, or swerving into traffic.
• Failure to Yield: A bicycle is considered a vehicle under Indiana law and must abide by the same traffic laws as other drivers. Motorists must yield to bicyclists like they would other vehicles. When a motorist fails to yield to a bicyclist’s right of way, serious injuries can result.
• Failure to Leave Room While Passing: Approximately 40 percent of all bike accidents involve collisions from behind. Motorists who fail to leave adequate room when passing a bicyclist may inadvertently collide with them, cause them to swerve into traffic, or otherwise become injured.
The victims of Indiana bicycle accidents can seek recovery for their injuries and damages sustained due to the negligence of the at-fault driver. Indiana bike accident victims can potentially receive compensation for their medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Obtaining a Full Recovery for the Victims of Bicycle Accidents Across Indiana
With over 85 years of combined experience, the Indianapolis Bicycle Accident Attorneys at Ward & Ward Law Firm have successfully represented countless bicycle accident victims across the state of Indiana. Our attorneys have the skill, knowledge, and resources to obtain your maximum recovery.
We understand the potentially devastating consequences of a bicycle accident and will work vigorously for your full recovery. We operate on a contingency fee basis and offer a free consultation to new clients.
Call us today at (317) 639-9501 to schedule your free consultation.
Click here for Semi-Truck Accident Claims Information